Wednesday, May 6, 2020

10... no 15.... maybe 20? Ugh! That's to much back to 15

What started out as a simple idea of a 10 book recommendation list quickly became quite daunting and I realized that 10 simply wouldn't do. Instead here's my 15 Book recommendations for Quarantine:

Now I should preface this by saying, "book" in this post may infact refer to an entire book series, because honestly you have the time to read an entire series right now, trust me. Plus it gives my recommendation list a little more room. 

Finally before we break down this awesome list I have subdivided it into 3 minor categories: 1. Book series 2. Inspirational/self help 3. Stand alone 
And with that were ready to go! 

Book Seiries:
5. Percy Jackson and the Olympians; I was given the first book of this series as a birthday present and it was the best gift I could've been given! This series does follow the zainy antics of a 12 year old so it's not for everyone. But the chapter titled alone make this a huge hit and add much to the charm of the series. 
4. Michael Vey; This is a series I have both read had listened to with my family.  It's made my cry and laugh out loud. It's a total original and you'll enjoy every moment. 
3. Beyonders; You may recognise this author from his more well known series Fablehaven. However this slightly shorter series is more original in both plot and characters and therefore makes my list while fablehaven didn't. 
2. Lunar Chronicles; This series is life changing! Okay that was dramatic... But seriously it's princesses and rebels, true love and adventure, space and science. Truly I beleive one of the best book series of this generation. 
1. Harry Potter; How could this not be at the top of literally any and every list. This series taught me how to love reading. I learned about life, love, challenges and hope reading these books. They will always hold a special place in my heart and I read them each year. 

Inspiration/Self help: 
5. Last Lechture; After getting cancer he shares is life lessons so his children will have something left behind. It might make you cry but you'll also laugh and leave more hopeful and changed for the better.  
4. Where there's Hope; This is a collection of interviews where you learn about how to find hope no matter the challenges you face. 
3. Tuesday's with Morrie; I have read this one many times over. It's sweet and comforting, Morris feels like an old friend and his lessons are as relevant today as they were back then.
2. The Hiding Place; Corrie ten Boom is a personal hero of mine. She wasn't setting out to change the world she just knew what was right and decided she woild stand by it no matter what. That's the kind of woman I want to be. 
1. Mans Search for Meaning; Another favorite, there is inspiration in learning from another's experiences. There is power in the idea that even in Auschwitz concentration camp you can find purpose and meaning to your life. 

Stand alone Novels:
5. Across the Wide an Lonesome Prairie; I read this novel hinders of times as a young girl. It was and still is a favorite. Simple and charming. 
4. The Siren; A unique love story. Simple to the point and totally creative. You can't go wrong with that. 
3. A Wrinkle in Time; A true classic. The book is so much better than the movie. You learn about light and dark, the importance of choices and the power of love. 
2. The Five People You Meet in Heaven; Not the first by this author on my list, and there's a reason. Mitch Albom knows how to write! This book gives a powerful look at life after death. It shows how even if you don't realise it there is meaning to each moment of your life and the people in it. Eaxh life we touch and that touches ours changes it in ways we may never realize, in this life anyway. 
1. The Sun is also a Star; I didn't plan to love this book as much as I did. But for a love story this one is far above the rest. In the span of a single day you learn about love, life, purpose and fate. You may never see the far reaching aspects of your actions but what goes around comes around. 

This list is full of personal favorites, because I wouldn't be able to recommend anything less!! Each story has touched my mind and heart in ways I wasn't expecting. Each one I have gone back to time and again grateful for the escape, hope lessons and love I find in the pages. I hope you find something good to read (: 

Bonus short stories:
5. Green Eggs and Ham; Dr Seuss is another personal favorite. His stories teach children lessons. And are the most fun to read! 
4. If You Give a Mouse a Cookie; Lets be honest if you read this book you're gonna wanna eat cookie which means you'll have to bake cookies and that's always a win! 
3. The Giving Tree; Kindness is never out if style and for love you always have something to give. 
2. You are Special; Tissues needed for this book. Read it! Reread it! Learn it's message and let it change your life.
1. Harold and the Purple Crayon; The sky's not even the limit in this book! With a purple crayon and some imagination anything is possible!


No comments:

Post a Comment