Saturday, May 25, 2019

My skin hurts

So the title is pretty much the gist of this post. My skin hurts and it's the worst!

So something that brings an added measure of unique to my chronic illness life is that I have been soft diagnosed with Pyoderma gangrenosum. Basically it's another inflammatory illness and it causes skin ulcers. The ulcers can appear anywhere however mine are typically on my chest which is very sensitive and causes some lovely scars. Also pro-tip don't Google image this, it is terrifying and also nasty so take my word and just don't.

Anyways, I say soft diagnosed because by the time I finally got it looked at it has healed over enough that the dermatologist didn't want to biopsy it and cause it to reopen. These ulcers have a tendency to not heal, like ever. So she just looked at symptoms and such and said it is likely pyoderma gangrenosum. And oddly this has some connection to ulcerative colitis and crohns disease. Doctors don't fully understand this connection but it's a thing regardless.

And as of lately the scar on my chest has been bothering me. Now it's starting to look a little open and sore and the pain is awful. I mean the lightest touch is so incredibly painful! And boy does this bring out a host of pity party moments... yeah. The thing is in some ways I'm really grateful. Every time I feel like I'm making really progress I feel like I slide right back down the hill. And I'm grateful because I have so much help. Can you imagine dealing with all this chaos and drama solo? I certainly cannot. And so I am grateful for the support team I have been blessed with. I'm also grateful for each hard moment becuase it makes the good moments so, so much sweeter. It's like night and day difference! So perspective is always a positive thing.

Anyways, if you're hurting and struggling hang in there. Have peace. Hold on. You got this!!! Try to have perspective and believe things will get better.

No comments:

Post a Comment