Wednesday, April 8, 2020

Easter Week

As part of this Easter week I am taking time each morning to follow a study guide offered by my church. Today's prompt was about a scripture story about Christ that touches you in a meaningful way. Here were some of my thoughts from that prompt;

I think that on of my favorite scriptures about Jesus Christ is John 11. In this chapter Jesus returns to Judea two days  after hearing that Lazarus was sick. And I think it's important that right away in verse 5 John points out that Jesus loves Mary and Martha and Lazarus. But he still didn't come right away, as soon as he was called, and fix everything. 
When Jesus gets to Bethany he's met by Martha who is, understandably, upset that Christ hadn't been here and shares frankly that she knows IF Christ had come sooner, IF He had simply answered her prayer the moment she asked and the exact way she asked, Lazarus wouldn't have died. In response Christ explains who He is and what His power is. Then He asks Martha if she still believes this, even when she hasn't gotten what she wanted, even when to an outside eye she's been abandoned by Him, does she still believe? In response  Martha gives her sweet and powerful testimony, vs 27 "...Yea Lord I beleive that thou art the Christ, the son of God, which should come into the world." 
Not long after, Mary joins this interaction with the same sorrow in her heart. The same burning question, "Why Lord? Why didn't you come, didn't you answer? Why did you leave me alone?" 
Then we see clearly the character of Christ. He doesn't defend himself, beyond his gentle reassurance to Martha earlier, He doesn't roll his eyes and tell these sisters to "stop crying I'm literally going to fix everything in like 2 seconds". Instead He weeps with them.
I think John 11:35, "Jesus wept." Is some of the most beautiful and comforting scripture. 
Even though Christ has all power and can do all things there are moments in my life, and everyone's, where He doesn't come as soon as we'd like. Moments where He doesn't answer the way we want. Moments where we just don't understand. In these moments when our lives feel too much and our hearts too heavy I often find myself weeping. And it is a comfort to me to know that I don't do so alone. Christ is there weeping along side me. He knows my suffering and even though He can fix it all in a snap He is willing to simply sit beside me. Wrap His arm around me and hold me while He and I weep together. 
 
During this Easter season I am grateful for a Savior who is all powerful, all understanding, all loving. I am grateful that when my heart is troubled He sits beside me to offer me comfort and sometimes to simply share my heartache. I know He lives and loves me, you and everyone upon this earth. 

No comments:

Post a Comment