Thursday, August 15, 2019

Wisdom of a Child

"But what's their name?" These were the wise words spoken by my favorite four year old.

We were driving in my car and someone in front of me did something stupid and the people behind me were upset and there I was in the middle of it. So after everything was sorted out I let off a little road rage. Nothing nasty, no cursing, believe me I was very aware of my copycat four year old in the car. However she still noticed my upset and simple asked why? So I did my best to explain the situation, in the language of a four year old, she seemed to understand and I felt quite proud of my ability to justify my upset. Then she asked me the most profound question, "But, Onaleigh, what's their name?" I quickly clarified whose names she wanted to know and she explained she wanted to know the names of the people I was upset with. After I explained I didn't know she gave them her own made up names and moved right along with the conversation.

But I have really been struck by my four year olds question: "But what's their name?" I mean I knew nothing about these people, not even the most basic info such as their name, and yet I had jumped to conclusions that they were nasty people, so impatient and rude. All because they made whatever dumb driving decisions. And it struck me how often I jump to conclusions about people who I don't even know. I don't think I'm alone in this weakness, I know a lot of people who struggle judging those they don't know. And in many ways society kind of teaches us to judge and be critical of everyone, people we know, people we don't, even ourselves. It's a toxin and it's killing us! So next time someone cuts you off or does something that make you go *ugh* think of a cute little blonde 4 year old asking:
"But what's their name?"

No comments:

Post a Comment