Book 1: Five Feet Apart:
I found this book at a library book sale and quickly snatched it up to bring home. Some might be familar with the film (which is excellent) this book is mainly based on the film but I think was published just before the movie came out. Anyway I wrote a nice goodreads review of it so I'm gonna send you there for my thoughts.
Book 2: Pericles:
I listened to an audio version of this play by Shakespeare in preparation for a Shakespeare weekend in Winona. And I loved it!!! I mean is it bat crap crazy? Yes. Is the plot ridiculously contrived and hard to follow? Yes. Are there references in incest? Also, yes. But this play is a wild adventure, and I found myself genuinely enjoying every second of it!
Here are some aspects I really enjoyed about this version:
I loved Gowers character as chorus. The voice actor played him older and breathy, and there was an ethereal element that almost made him feel ghostly.
The reunion scene was remarkably moving. You felt both the joy and disbelief as well as humble awe at this seemingly unearned happiness.
Marina's voice is wonderful! You feel her horror at the brothel and all that it entails in an exceedingly visceral way. (Obviously, trigger warning of sexual violence) But she also had a way of conveying her innocence and virtue, a musical quality to her vocals that was as effective in her joy and conviction as in her fear and horror.
I would recommend this as both an audio option and to see on the stage because it was incredible there too!
Book 3: Stars Above a lunar chronicles collection:
I am usually hesitant when an author adds additional books to a well completed series. Often, it undermines the existing narrative or feels like a cash grab and not much else.
This book is definitely the exception! Okay, it could definitely have been a cash grab, but it has merit regardless.)
The short story format is enjoyable, and we get a story about all the main characters minus Iko (and, I guess, technically Jacin, but y'know he and Winter are usually a package deal anyway). Each of the short stories about existing characters comes from the existing narrative- we see Cress entering her life on the satellite, Cinder meeting her "new family," Wolf entering the Queens army, etc. It gives a glimpse into the characters we come to know and love in the main narrative!!
The other two short stories break those parameters. One is a simple little mermaid retelling. It does have a Cinder cameo, which is fun, but otherwise, it's just a cute story. The final short story takes place after the events of the main narrative.
We get to see all our favorite characters together again for the happy occasion of Scarlet and Wolf's wedding. It's a cute simple story it doesn’t add too much but enough that you see everyone happy, healing, and still together.
My only gripe with the entire book is not having a story about Iko. Let's all agree we want the short story about Iko and Kinny (I know Wires and Nerve is more their story but sometimes it annoys me when media changes- think Avatar the Last Air Bender completing their native in a graphic novel when it was a TV show ya dig?) Anywho! Good book highly recommend.
Book 4: Eddie Winston is Looking for Love:
This book, this book, my goodness! This is a book I will be buying. This is a book I must own because it is every cosy sweater, warm cup of cocoa and hug from grandma that your soul needs. High praise but trust me!
It follows the story of Eddie the 90 year old looking for Love and his first kiss. As a near 30 year old who has never had her first kiss you can see why this book would intrigue me. But its much more that just a romantic love story. Its the story of humanity and how we can connect with others if we'll allow ourselves to. Truly it was beautiful and I enjoyed every minute.
Book 5: The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight:
I wrote a decent review for this book on my good reads so I'm gonna just send y'all there and you can check that out.
Book 6: The Screaming Staircase:
This is the first in the series Lockwood and Co. I will definitely be reading the rest of the series!
It tells the story of an alternate London where specters, haunting and all things ghosty exist. And the only ones aware enough to recognize or deal with the issue is a bunch of teenagers, yikes! That's when we meet our trio: Lockwood is mysterious and doesn't communicate much. Lucy is extra sensitive, has a haunted past and is trying to prove herself. And George the nerdy, food obsessed, comedic relief (it's giving movie Ron without any of the heart of book Ron, if you know what I mean). An amusing group to be sure. They face their adventures and find they work together even better than they expected and all (mostly) worke out in the end.
Book 7: Tuck Everlasting:
I listened to the 50th anniversary edition of this book narrated by Alexis Bledel. It was wonderful! She should definitely narrate more audiobooks.
I genuinely enjoyed this story. It was simple yet profound. It explores the nature of life and death, considers the purpose of life, discusses childhood, and growing up. All of it is truly deeper than you realize if you'll look for it. But also simple and child-like in the story itself.
I found myself loving the Tucks as much as Winnie did, without much explanation as to why much like her. I found each member of the Tuck family simple and endearing. Winnie herself was a delightful little creature, a child just starting to grow and understand the world around her.
I do sometimes think what it would be to write a sequel to this book. To right the Tucks family story and give them the ending they all want. Maybe someday someone will write it if they did, I'd definitely read it!
Honorable Mention (because I haven't "finished" it yet, it's sorta a workbook and instead of doing the workbook aspect I've just been listening to it but then I plan to re-listen to it and do the workbook aspect and I don't plan to count it twice so IDK this is my blog and my rules and mind your business.) Too Much: a Guide to breaking the cycle of High Functioning Codependency:
All I'm gonna say is if you feel like you might loose your mind trying to control everything and everyones life then maybe you should check it out. I love the way the Author gives us practice moments to either do more reflection or to work on developing a skill to help us. There were definitely few times were I found the authors "I'm on your team, you're amazing" a bit pedantic. But overall I think its a good book for some perspective if you're struggling.
DIS-Honorable mentions 2 DNFs: Cinderella's Dress & Cities of Smoke and Starlight
Both books were ones I only considered reading becuase I was heavily influenced by my socials. Haha clearly they didn't know me half so well as they thought since I struggled to enjoy either. With Cinderella it was just a little to slow. With Starlight it was a little to trope-y and the dialog was just not it. If you've read them and enjoyed them great! If you think I should give them another try let me know!
Okay a million years later I think I'm done! So you know the drill go check out my sister's post and definitely follow her if you want regularly scheduled posts and not whatever my chaos is.
No comments:
Post a Comment